Real Jamaican Food
Recipes for Jamaican meals,Lots of Jamaican recipes to bring a taste of the island to your home.
Baked Egg And Rundown Tart
4 large Chippenham eggs
2lbs salt mackerel or salt fish
2 cups coconut milk or 1 can coconut milk
1 cup water
1 large onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 stalks scallion, chopped fine
2 large tomatoes, chopped fine
4 sprigs thyme
1 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped fine (optional)
1. To remove some of the salt from the mackerel/salt fish, soak in water overnight or boil in hot water for 30 minutes. (A combination of this can be done if the mackerel is still salty.)
2. Drain water off the fish and cut into small pieces.
3. Combine milk and water in a frying pan and boil until it looks oily.
4. Add the fish and cover the pot. Cook for 10-12 minutes on medium heat.
5. Add and stir the onion, garlic, scallion, tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper and thyme.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste
7. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
9. Spoon rundown halfway full into ramekins or small teacups.
10. Break eggs gently on top of rundown mixture without breaking yolks.
11. Pour a small amount of coconut milk next to the yolks.
12. Season gently with salt and black pepper.
13. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, depending on desired yolk.
Serve with fried breadfruit.are fried
Green Banana Porridge with Coconut & Cinnamon
6 green bananas
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
Pinch of nutmeg
Condensed milk to taste
Pinch of salt
In a saucepan simmer the coconut milk with cinnamon stick, pinch of nutmeg and water for two minutes.
Add blended green banana (use some of the water to blend it).
Add cornstarch (mixed with a little cold water) and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add sweetened condensed milk and pinch of salt to taste.
Serve in a calabash bowl and sprinkle with little brown sugar when serving.
Watermelon Aguas Frescas
5 cups watermelon, cut into pieces and seeded
cup granulated sugar
cup fresh lime juice
3 cups water or club soda
1 In a blender, blend watermelon with sugar.
(If you weren't able to get all the seeds out, strain into a pitcher.)
2 Add lime juice and water of your choice.
3 Add more sugar to taste.
(I prefer this to be a refreshing drink so I generally won't add more)
4 Garnish with limes or fresh mint.
Barbecue Chicken with Home-made Sauce
4lb chicken, cut into pieces,
1 cup honey
2 cups ketchup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cloves minced garlic
teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 cup brown sugar
Scotchie to your liking!
1 Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
2 Bring to a boil, then simmer about 30 minutes to allow the flavours to combine.
3 Season chicken parts with salt, pepper, minced garlic and scallion.
4 Grill chicken and baste with sauce.