Real Jamaican Food
Recipes for Jamaican meals,Lots of Jamaican recipes to bring a taste of the island to your home.
Baked Egg And Rundown Tart
4 large Chippenham eggs
2lbs salt mackerel or salt fish
2 cups coconut milk or 1 can coconut milk
1 cup water
1 large onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 stalks scallion, chopped fine
2 large tomatoes, chopped fine
4 sprigs thyme
1 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped fine (optional)
1. To remove some of the salt from the mackerel/salt fish, soak in water overnight or boil in hot water for 30 minutes. (A combination of this can be done if the mackerel is still salty.)
2. Drain water off the fish and cut into small pieces.
3. Combine milk and water in a frying pan and boil until it looks oily.
4. Add the fish and cover the pot. Cook for 10-12 minutes on medium heat.
5. Add and stir the onion, garlic, scallion, tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper and thyme.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste
7. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
9. Spoon rundown halfway full into ramekins or small teacups.
10. Break eggs gently on top of rundown mixture without breaking yolks.
11. Pour a small amount of coconut milk next to the yolks.
12. Season gently with salt and black pepper.
13. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, depending on desired yolk.
Serve with fried breadfruit.are fried