1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2lbs cake flour
1/4 cup almonds, sliced
1/2 cup mixed fruit peel, chopped
1/4 cup dried mango
1/4 cup dried papaya
1/4 cup dried pineapple
Zest of one lemon
1tbs spiced rum
2tbs butter, melted
Powdered sugar as needed
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm half of the milk with 1 tablespoon of sugar and the yeast. Once the sugar and yeast are dissolved, remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes to activate yeast.
2. Transfer the yeast mixture into a large mixing bowl, add the whole egg, and whisk together. Add the rest of the milk and sugar, salt, and soft butter, stirring until well incorporated.
3. Incorporate the flour, mixing just until the dough comes together. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a floured work surface just until smooth and elastic. Cover with a cloth and allow to rest for an hour.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the almonds, dried fruits, and lemon rind. Pour the rum over the mixture and allow to soak for one hour.
5. Drain any excess liquid from the fruit peel mixture and knead into the dough, ensuring that it is distributed evenly throughout.
6. Line a baking sheet with grease paper. Divide the dough into 12 portions and form into individual buns. Place on the baking sheet roughly two inches apart, cover and allow to rest for an additional half hour.
7. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
8. Bake the buns for 50 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven, immediately brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm or allow to cool to room temperature.